Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sleep! Where art thou?

I had this strange concept in my head that babies were meant to improve their sleep patterns as they got older... ( a little naive I know) My precious Elisha seems to be doing the opposite. Although his day sleep patterns are improving somewhat ( but now catnapping i.e. 40min sleeps), he is getting worse at night. He started off very well as a newborn, doing long 4-5 hour stretches at night and by 6weeks sleeping through the night (8hours at least sometimes 10 or 11hours!). By 14weeks Elisha started waking once in the night again around 3am. This is reasonably common for babies at the 3-4month mark. Although if I gave him at late feed around 10pm then he would generally sleep through till 5.30am!

The last 4 nights have been a disaster for my sleep. He is waking every 2-3hours and wanting breastmilk! What a shock to the system. The last two nights have not been quite as many times and last night I got to sleep for 4.5 hours straight! Yay! (not). What is going on???

It's easier to cope with your first cause you can catch up on sleep during the day when they are sleeping. But with the second, forget sleep. Even if it is the weekend and hubby is home, your toddler makes too much noise for you to get any decent sleep anyway.

I see only one answer. Escape.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have often contemplated running away from home over the last 10 months! Maybe all us mums could run away together somewhere!