Saturday, June 7, 2008

Green growth

It seems over the last few weeks my interest and commitment to the garden has increased. I have always loved gardens but never been one to put much effort in myself. Most things I have attempted have not grown terribly well. I am not entirely sure why all this has changed (it's still early days!!) A few thoughts: a) My current life circumstances of being shut up in the home more than I would like have forced me to go outdoors for some therapy! b) Adriaan has more free time on weekends and after work to assist me with certain projects c) the fact that the backyard was virtually devoid of any garden or tree (just lawn and fence) has been a catalyst to make it a more delightful space for me and a space for exploration and discovery for Caelan.

Unfortunately as renters we need to consider what we want to take with us and what we are wiling to leave behind. So there is probably more in pots than I would normally like... but I am thankful all the same.

So today's project was to pot a couple of citrus trees we purchased (lemon and lime) and a few herbs that didn't go in the garden bed. Caelan enjoyed the process of helping fill the pots with soil. Here are a few photos of the process.



My herb garden has flourished over the last few weeks and we are already enjoyed the fresh crunchy lettuce leaves and herbs. In the garden I planted some parsley, dill, thyme, oregano, chives, spring onion, rocket, cos lettuce and mixed lettuce. In pots I have mint, coriander, rosemary and a bay laurel tree. Basil will be planted in the spring. I have also planted lavender bushes, marigolds and a couple of other border flowers and leaves for colour. It's amazing with a little effort how a place can be transformed. May God continue to bless its growth as we continue to enjoy him in the garden.



Shown above are photos of before, after the intial planting and then 4 weeks of growth.


Today's efforts

2 comments:

Fiona said...

looks great! gardening is awesome!

cafedave said...

that's a very handsome looking garden bed... good to see everyone helping!