Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Saying goodbye

My grandfather's home sold recently and last monday he handed over the keys. I went over Monday morning to walk around the house and yard once more... remembering childhood games and sleepovers at granma's and granpa's. I sat outside in their peaceful garden beside their pool and wondered how to say goodbye. Knowing that saying goodbye to this place was also saying a final farewell to my grandmother who died 8 years ago.

An embrace.
Wholeness. Entirety.
A holding on. Tight.
Not letting go.
Closeness.
Imparting meaning.
An exchange of hearts.
Saying goodbye.
Leaving part of you behind.
How do you embrace a place?
Childhood memories?
Something so cherished.
Yet cannot be held.

1 comment:

Jemimah said...

I think maybe I said goodbye back at fake-Christmas in fake-July.

The place looked so different to what my memories illustrate, and I guess for me I had older memories of Altona Street that spark that childhood nostalgia more.

Besides... memories of Grandma at Gilham St are a bit of a mixed bucket for me. A few are lovely, but many are are difficult ones I'd rather not dwell on too much.

Although... do you remember when she killed the phone with spray-and-wipe?